I hate winter. I get winter blues, and some years it’s definitely borderline SAD. I have a Verilux HappyLight and ever since I realized how badly the darkness affects my mood, I make an effort to get out ahead of it. My strategic plan is to do the following:
- Exercise. Cardio in particular helps me keep depression at bay.
- Leave work at 4pm. This is key for me in the winter, because it means I’m out of the building and on my way home before it is dark out.
- Eat right. Not feeling sluggish or grumpy about my unhealthy eating habits also helps me feel better.
- HappyLight it up. This is a challenge with my current desk layout, but I’m going to figure it out. Once I’m done pumping this week, my HappyLight can move into that space.
- Get outside. I’m hoping that walking my daughter to daycare can be a thing we do more this winter, because being outside in the fresh air really helps me. Even when the fresh air is stinkin’ cold. It’s also much better to not have to put a screeching one year old into a freezing cold carseat and instead just bundle her into a stroller. This somewhat contradicts point one, because if I don’t get to work early, I can’t leave early. So we will see how it goes.
- Shower at night. This means that I’m not heading to work with wet, freezing hair, and it means that I’m not getting up and showering in our cold bathroom first thing in the morning.
- Get into the Holiday spirit. I’m generally very anti-celebrating-before-Thanksgiving, but with time moving at warp speed and it so dark so early, I am kind of thinking towards putting the festive white lights up a bit early this year. I also want to try making Sun cookies this year and enjoy my Cider advent calendar.
We will see how it goes. But I just want to have something to focus on so that I don’t feel like the darkness will literally swallow me whole. Anyone else have strategies?